Status: WIC Program – Full-time; nonexempt
Under general supervision, the WIC nutritionist will determine program eligibility and certify WIC participants, assess risk factors, provide referrals and conduct nutrition counseling for pregnant, breastfeeding and delivered women, infants and children, and maintain documentation of services provided.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities:
- Determines income eligibility and completes nutrition assessments for participants to determine nutritional eligibility. This includes taking anthropometric and hemoglobin measurements in addition to completing health and nutrition interviews.
- Establishes and implements individualized nutrition care plans for low to moderate risk participants and implements high risk care plans at the direction of the dietitian.
- Provides nutrition and substance use education. Encourages breastfeeding and provides ongoing support for breastfeeding participants.
- Counsels and refers participants to appropriate food assistance, health and social service agencies and programs for which they may qualify for.
- Maintains appropriate documentation of services and education provided to participants.
- Consults with physician, health and social service personnel to coordinate participant services.
- Assists in developing and implementing annual nutrition services plan.
- Prescribes appropriate supplemental foods and issues WIC EBT cards.
- Some travel is required
- Performs other duties as assigned by the WIC Director. May include but not limited to:
- administrative duties, vendor trainings and monitoring, outreach, reports, assist in disaster response.
- Strong computer skills and communication skills, verbal and written;
- Knowledge of community programs and resources;
- In depth knowledge of maternal and child health;
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to use discretion in dealing with confidential information;
- Ability to work effectively across cultures and socio-economic levels and to remain calm in fast paced environment with multiple priorities;
- Dependability – punctuality, work attendance, follows instruction, responds to management instruction
- Bachelor’s degree in foods and nutrition, community nutrition, public health nutrition or Family and Consumer Science with an emphasis in foods and nutrition, or equivalent.
Resumes due June 2. Please email resumes to firstname.lastname@example.org.